Dr. Peter Smith
Principal, Arapiki Solutions Inc.
Or connect via
Based in Vancouver, Canada, we are able to support international clients by working remotely.
provide technical leadership for software-based projects, centered
around business applications.
- Business analysis of using software applications to increase
- Creation of business case proposals, including interaction
with senior management.
- Software architecture and design from initial planning
through to software implementation and roll-out.
- Project management of cross-functional teams in all phases of
With in-depth technical understanding
of software development, combined with years of project leadership
experience, our goal is to:
Deliver the correct solution the first
Recent projects include:
- Technical IT architecture and project planning for a large-scale
corporate acquisition of 4000 people.
- Evaluation, installation, and roll-out of business
applications, as used by an 800-person software development team.
- Design and prototype of a web-based documentation storage
application. Supervision of the production roll-out.
- Architecture of a large-scale project to migrate end-users from
one version control tool to another.
- Authoring a technical book on Software Build Systems.
- Teaching a university-level course in Internet Programming.
- Architecting an approach for componentizing a large software code base into smaller interacting components.
- Providing recommendations on how to optimize a Java-based
Our Consulting Approach
We use one or more of the following approaches when undertaking work:
- Identify inefficiencies within the organization that could be eliminated by the use of
business applications. This is done by interviewing end-users to understand their concerns, taking direction from the company management, and observing the way employees perform their work.
- Perform cost-benefit analysis as a means of prioritizing issues. That is, what will it cost if we don't fix the problem?
- Create PowerPoint presentations necessary to ask senior management for funding.
- Identify solutions, perform feasibility analysis, and with the help of your management, contribute to the project plan and budget.
- Implement the solution ourselves (for small projects), or provide technical direction for the implementation team (larger projects).
- Manage the roll-out of the new methodology or tool, write documentation, and deliver training. Provide support to the management team who are responsible for enforcing the new initiative.
- Provide metrics so that management can be aware of whether the new methodologies and tools have been adopted successfully.
- Transfer the necessary knowledge and skills to your internal support team.